Samantha Burnett Announces Her Candidacy for City Council, Ward 1 Seat
Rumford, RI---Samantha Burnett announced of her candidacy for City Council in Ward 1.
She has an extensive involvement in her community including;
• United Way of Rhode Island, Board Member-Women’s United (literacy advocacy for children)
• Blackstone Valley Advocacy Center – Board Member (domestic violence shelter and advocacy)
• Economic Development Commission, East Providence – Former member
• School Improvement Team Committee – Martin Pre-K
• Myron J. Francis – Parent Volunteer
• Rumford Little League – Parent Volunteer
• Rhode Island Asian and Pacific Islander Festival – Chairperson
• Reading mentor for elementary students
• Rhode Island Town and Clerk’s Association – Fundraiser Chair
• Former campaign manager for Councilman Ricardo Mourato
• Current City Clerk (appointed 2019)
Burnett has a background in finance, marketing and graduated recently from Boston University from the paralegal studies program. She has over three years of municipal finance experience, 20 years of business acumen including expense management and revenue development. She has managed teams as large as 30 employees, while focusing on diversity and team building. She has worked for publicly traded companies, small businesses and municipal government. She has worked in Washington state, Oregon, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island.
She is also a domestic violence survivor. She was a single mother for 14 years of two children and raised herself out of being homeless to then public housing, and is proud home owner today.
Social services, public safety, having a business acumen for the city’s operational expenses, reducing expenses (water, sewer, taxes) and balancing green space with smart and thoughtful business growth, are her goals for City Council. She is concerned of the lack of business acumen of the current mayor and administration could lead our city down an undesirable path. She is running to help create a more sustainable and structured budget.
“We have swept important issues such as public safety and good fiscal governance under the rug for too long and allowed short sided political agendas to get in the way”, stated Burnett. “We need to operate this city as what it is – a multi-million dollar business and answering to its stakeholders which are our residents. We serve them. It’s time to work like we do.”
Burnett, her husband, son and daughter live in the Wilson/Hoyt neighborhood in Rumford for the past eight years.
When asked how to describe herself she answered, “Determined, innovative, fair and community minded. Being a first generation American, I learned that there is always hope, but you have to put in the work.”
You can reach Samantha Burnett on her political page on Facebook, or email: email@example.com. Her phone number is: 401.644.8432.